Monday, October 22, 2012

THE VEIL


The veil:

In the chapter the veil Marjane’s life quickly changes. Not only her life changed, but the whole country of Iran changed as well. Even though she does not know why, she is forced to wear a veil. This was the beginning of the Islamic revolution. I have never been forced to wear a veil, but I can relate to this. When we are little we are always forced to put on the clothes our parents want us to wear. I remember every time I had to go to the synagogue my parents made me put on my silver ballet flats. The back ends of the shoes were sharp because of the silver glitter, and would scratch the back of my heel every time I walked.  I never understood why I had to wear the silver ballet flats, I just knew that every time we had to go to the synagogue I couldn’t wear my Dora the explorer sneakers; instead I had to wear my silver ballet flats. I guess you could say that Marjane didn’t ask questions about wearing her veil; she just knew that she had to wear it even if she didn’t like it and it made her uncomfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment